Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Goals

Now, I've been asked by the candidates of the 'So You Wanna be a Pilot?' competition many many times for tips and to understand what is it I'm looking for. Ive purposely left clues to candidates on how to find this blog for the answers they are looking for through the placement of twitter on the blog and my name mentions in the post 'The Whole World wants to be a pilot'. Want to see how many smart enough to follow the trail.

People have been asking me since I was 12 on what I wanted to be. The answers have gone from archaelogist, to priest, to architect, to businessman, to conman. But the answer that I always had was the same as the Japanese sword saint, Miyamoto Musashi; to be the greatest under heaven. And like Miyamoto, I came to realise what being the greatest means.


When I was born, my dad chose an audacious name for me, in English it reads Tan Yeong Par but in Chinese, it is Chen (family name) Yeong (brave) Par (tyrant). Chinese have a believe that if you can not live to your name, you will pay for it with your life. Needless to say, my grandmother was furious and I grew up challenging everything regardless of the odds. Doing what I do in each job is a challenge. Right now, my words are my words and like Miyamoto who went around the land searching for the greatest, I started out that way too way early in my career. Seeking to make a name for myself. Now, Miyamoto according to records after defeating his arch rival Sasaki Kojiro finally understood the meaning of being the greatest after that. Being the greatest meant that you had to understand that you were the not the focus of the universe and that the world does not revolve around you, rather, greatest is just a word. The way of the sword is a journey of self discovery and thats all that matters.

To be the greatest, it means that you have come to realised that the only opponent has always been yourself. When you have reached that peak, you look around and see so many more peaks around you but you do not go around beating each peak. You grow with your peak in your own way. That is the Hyōhō Niten Ichi-ryū or Niten-ryū school that Miyamoto established. I have dreams of my own that the blog has come to represent and I think I may have found a measure of peace, I came to realise that when I left a 'real' job at Sime Darby and decided to be the 'greatest under heaven' and forge my own road. I want to see how far I have come and how far more I have to go. Now, how does this all fit into the 'So You Wanna be a Pilot?' competition? This is a competition where it is all about the candidates understanding their motivations, and putting in their best efforts.

What I'm looking for are the 'greatest under heaven'. Those who understand their limitations, their strengths, and willing to do what it takes to be a pilot. Simple? Not so. I've been swamped by countless calls by mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers and others on the competition. If you want it, all I can say is, come and get it! this is your fight, your duel, your life.

You have to stand up and want it. I want to see your sweat, blood, and dreams in your posts. If you can't do that then you're not up for it. This competition was designed on several physchological reasons which was never revealed. For one, the amount of entries you sent shows your confidence level or even how much you want it. The amount of effort you put in shows your character, although you have the results but if you expect it, you are only going to get so far. The amount of creativity that shows how much you think out of the box. Your writing shows me more than you know and if you are serious about this. Yes, there are other ways to be a pilot but how many reveal to you as well whether you are making the right choice?

So are there any out there that are 'greatest under heaven'?

12 comments:

Siew Wan Siong said...

Hi there Derek,

Nice work leaving clues for the "So you wanna be a pilot" competition.
I'm guessing no one actually found the clue you left, as I'm the 1st one to comment here.
Right about now you should have read my submitted blog entry.
It took me a few weeks of research and proper planning to get my plans executed.
And after reading your post, I cannot help but wonder at the resemblance we had in life in terms of career.
Nevertheless, I hope what I've submitted to your team is what you guys are looking for in a winner.
Till then, cheers!


Benjamin Siew.

Derek "thewrecktan" Tan said...

Benjamin, you know what. For locating me, you get bonus points. hahaha. Just kidding, but on a personal side, I like your entry and that says something

Siew Wan Siong said...

Derek,



How could you play with my fragile feeling like that? Saying you'll give me extra bonus point and then say you're joking..

Did I got you scared?
Hahahahaha...
Just joking man..

Anyhow, I'm glad that you like my post. Wish me luck and hopefully I'll make it in joining their cadetship. Then we can come out some day and have a good laugh over lunch.

Till then, take care and I hope you'll bring me good news.



Benjamin Siew

Derek "thewrecktan" Tan said...

Benjamin, I'm looking forward to your post. I've got some interesting ones but since you found me, I'll give you real bonus points. Impress me with your post

Siew Wan Siong said...

Hi there Derek,

You've must been really really busy lately with all the posts that are coming in.
I have sent in my post on the 25th of March, but I'm not sure if you've read it now.
So I'll just include the link to my updated post here.
http://www.tonyfernandes.com.my/2009/03/so-you-wanna-be-pilot.html
I hope I managed to impress you and everyone else on your team to be in the top 10 candidate.
You may just copy and paste it in AirAsia's blog.
I'll be awaiting for your good news. =)



Benjamin Siew Wan Siong

Derek "thewrecktan" Tan said...

Hi Benjamin, we simply cant locate your post. Are you sure you posted your entry on the AirAsia blog and not Tony's. You need to submit yours to the right channel not your own site. No wonder we couldn't locate it. Get here and follow instructions. http://blog.airasia.com/index.php/so-you-wanna-be-a-pilot

Siew Wan Siong said...

Hi Derek,

Ah I see!
The last round when I logged in, I couldn't get into the "write a post", therefore I've emailed the link to blogteam@airasia.com
Now that I'm able to get into that menu, give me a few hours, and I'll link everything there.
Check back tomorrow morning, it should be in.
Anyway, thanks for the info.
Cheers!



Benjamin Siew Wan Siong

Siew Wan Siong said...

Hi Derek,

I've uploaded everything into the system.
Took out a few pictures and points as the system only allowed 6 photos.
So anyhow, hope everything goes well as my fate is in your hands. Literally..
Lolz..

Anyway, just to point out some things to you.
Most of the candidates have an impression that AirAsia is going to fully sponsor their pilot course. Of which that is not the case. As far as I know, AirAsia will only assists the candidates to apply for a bank loan to finance their education and take them in after they graduate.
Just to alert you as there is a potential that there might be disputes arising from this competition.

Hope what you're doing with this competition would help you achieve what you want in life. All the best!



Benjamin Siew Wan Siong

Siew Wan Siong said...

Hi Derek,

Thank you for what you have done for me so far.
I sincerely appreciate the opportunity that you have provided.
Looks like I'm one step closer to owe you a lunch.
Hahaha...
Keep up the good work.
Hope to see you in AirAsia soon.


Benjamin Siew Wan Siong

Derek "thewrecktan" Tan said...

Benjamin, appreciate the gesture but I wanted to give anyone me he chance. Because it shows desire and a bit of brains. People loved your post so see, I was spot on. Congrats. I can only show you the door. The rest is up to you to go all the way.

Siew Wan Siong said...

Hi Derek,

Thanks for everything thus far. For me to go all the way, besides my own effort, a little help everybody would definitely get me further. So hopefully, in some way, I could help you later stage in life. Cheers.



Benjamin Siew Wan Siong

Y4nG said...

As I read your posts, you're my age, you love movies, you love eviljanet, you have 3 cousins to babysit, you've worked for sime darby previously like my dad, you read the bible like my bro, you dont like twitter(which you didnt mention me in AirAsiaBlog, I still wonder till now), and comments are limited save this post. As my name goes with Yang (陽) it gives me stregth, and when I've failed my SIA final exams, I got myself a reminder not to fail behind my head (physically). I know I might sound childish with my post, and I know this would not affect anything regarding the contest, but I would not want you to think I am a playful kid as well. I want to be smart and change my life to dreams instead as well.

Post a Comment