Wednesday, April 1, 2009

pure joy

I just announced the first two shortlisted candidates that are one step closer to living their dreams today on of all days, April Fool's Day. I called them personally to congratulate them. And what I heard was truly heart tugging. I started this competition for one reason, which was when I saw my brother break down and cry when he failed his attempts to be a pilot after SPM. I still remember him calling me while I was in New Zealand after the incident. He was so down and distressed that he had a complete mental breakdown and even got into an accident. His tears on the phone is something I still remember until today.

This competition is special for me because he never heard back from AirAsia and flunked the MAS examination but he got back up. That was how much power a dream has over someone. The hope that it brings is simply astounding and the raw power that empowers you to do things you have never done before is unbelievable. Being in a position to open doors to dreams is not empowering but it humbles you. It makes you think about how you are at the same time giving hope and might also be crushing the other majorities that are awaiting their chance. It makes you really consider the many possibilities that you have and how you use that power. Spiderman said it best that with great powers comes great responsibilities.

I worked on launching this for 4 months but the conception had already begun in my mind before I joined AirAsia. I left my highpaying corporate power position because I knew I could not make an impact like I can right now. Life's too short to be wasted on material gains and stuff that does not last. If I could in this simple one instance change the lives of ten individuals, would that not mean more?

I've struggled from the conception of the pilot competition idea on how do I say no to the dreams of people that are so sincere. Some might not have concentrated in secondary school but want that opportunity so bad. What do I say to these people that have the heart but not the company demands on only selecting the best? What really is the best? When I selected Chee Keong and Daphne, their blog posts showed their hearts and their will to reach out for their dreams. When I called them, they displayed so much raw emotion. So much joy for it to be false. The joy that they had hope and they had a chance to fight for their dreams. I could hear the tears in their voice that they had made it one step further. They knew they were not there yet but this meant something. This competition was born on the will that you have to fight for it. I will give you a hand but the road to being a pilot or whatever you want to achieve in life is so hard and its a struggle.

Their voices reminded me of my brother when he got his shot at living his dream. You have to be strong to live your dream and really want it. I used to think money was my motivation and the dreams of success. Just goes to show how shallow I was. What I want right now is to make a positive difference on the people around me, be it AirAsia staff or the guests that the blog touches. Words truly can change minds and lives. You just have to believe.

PS. Baby, my dream remains holding hands until we grow old and watch every sunrise and sunset together. luv u....

0 comments:

Post a Comment