Tuesday, June 30, 2009

symphony of a sea lamb

I turn on my computer, I wait impatiently as it boots up. I go online, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You've got mail. I hear nothing, not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beat of my own heart. I have mail. From you.

~ Tom Hanks, You've Got Mail



Its the second day and was drafting a story in my head about sea lions and sea lambs dancing under the sea. Had to scrap that idea because the plot was not really amazing and it involved the normal boy meets girl story arc and they meet, fall in love, meet baddie and then somehow win and live happily ever after. Figured that it would not be enough and too common to make her smile today. My mind was busy tinkering with underwater love stories while driving my brother to his aviation center today, and I saw this mail van driving by. Then lightning from todays gloomy morning struck me right in my right membrane activating all my creative cells in order to make my elf happy.

I remember watching You've Got Mail when I didin't really understand what it meant. I was too young and naive to know what Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan were doing and how much it meant to receive a single piece of mail. If "NY152" and "Shopgirl" could get away with it on AOL, today let me paint you a smile baby before I leave on a jetplane to Bangkok and the land of elephants. This is a story of sealion and a sealamb thats written in the stars. If you join up the constellations that our stars make up, you will see me and you no matter which sky you are looking at. You're my world.

Draft Chic Flick: "You've Got Twit"

Setting: Someplace in a local residence in Subang Jaya, Selangor
Time: Afternoon sun
Cast:
Sea Lion (EvilJanet)
Sea Lamb (Thewrecktan)
Random passerbys

SUBANG HOUSING AREA - DAY

Eviljanet, beautiful -- but trying hard not to be -- in a black dress and shades, balances a cup of Americano and a handbag as she climbs out of her Toyota Vios under the afternoon sky.

A stray SKATEBOARD clips her, causing her to stumble and spill her Americano, as well as the contents of her handbag.

The young RIDER dashes over to help, trembling when he sees who his board has hit.

RIDER
Hey -- sorry.

Cowering in fear, he attempts to scoop up her scattered belongings.

EVILJANET
Leave it

He persists.

EVILJANET (continuing)
I said, leave it!

She grabs his skateboard and uses it to SHOVE him against a car, skateboard tip to his throat. He whimpers pitifully and she lets him go. A path clears for her as she marches through a pack of fearful neighbourhood kids and SLAMS open the door, entering her home.

VOICEOVER
Eviljanet was still fuming over the incident that happened earlier. The not so fortunate accident of encountering her dreaded foe and rival, Thewrecktan. It was a simple misunderstanding really.

LCCT - MORNING

Thewrecktan, young, bashful and arrogant walks in with his posse in a undercoloured tee and worn out jeans. Pushing past cabin crew to get to the IT department with his cohorts snickering and following closely behind. He's in a foul mood and not too entertained by a slow morning

Enter Eviljanet who unknowingly stashes a pile of documents on his desk before he even gets to sit.

Thewrecktan
Excuse me, you are? (betraying a sign of annoyance)

Eviljanet
Oh, thought this was the desk of IT support. Eviljanet. And you?

Thewrecktan
Thewreck. But otherwise known as the guy who doesn't like random stuff dumped on his desk by unknown people without asking.

Both eyes each other with a glare. Both unwilling to back down from the confrontation.

Eviljanet
Are you still sore about yesterday? Get a life and grow up thewreck. You're so childish.

Thewrecktan
I'm trying its just so difficult dealing with an adult.

Thewreck looks longingly at Eviljanet just wishing to hug her and say sorry. But he steel his eyes and stares back. Not willing to concede that he wants nothing more than to reach out and hold her hand.

Eviljanet
Yeah, well keep trying harder. Because its not going to get easier loving someone like me.

Walks off thinking why is this jerk not understand what I want. Just put your damn hands on mine and apologise like a man and do not repeat this again. Men...

VOICEOVER
We're back here in Eviljanet's room as she slowly returns back to reality and a shed of tear drops from her eyes.

Eviljanet
I miss you, you idiot. (whispers to herself)

All of a sudden the phone vibrates on Eviljanet's bed. Its him. The idiot.

Eviljanet hesitates. She wants to answer but a part of her is hurt and reluctantly she lets it ring for a few ten seconds before slowly pressing the dial.

(A strong silence)

Thewrecktan
Listen. Just be patient and listen to me. I know you're angry and no amount of sorry will change that. So please just listen. I'm childish most times and when you need me, I can't smile. I can be a pain on most days. No, nearly all the time. I don't always smile and am cold so it disturbs you sometimes why I can't be like you and spread your warmth and share your smiles freely. You hate it when I call other people to get to you and you absolutely hate it when I have my non talking days because you feed on my energy and smiles. You hate it when all of a sudden, you see my TL face and you wonder what volcano erupted for dunno what purpose. I hate this. I hate who I can not be to you. But I love you. And I want nothing more than to spend a lifetime loving so sorry if you have to spend a lifetime loving a jerk or an ass or an idiot. I have no song that I can sing to you now. No symphony to bring this romantice feeling now. I have no beautiful words crafted with a dictionary. I only have these three words. I love you. I'm going to bed.

Eviljanet
Shut up. Just shut up now.

(Silence)

Don't go.

If this lifetime throws me a jerk or an ass or an idiot, as long as its stupid you. Then I'm happy because I know you're happy because of me too.

I turn on my computer, I wait impatiently as it boots up. I go online, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You've got twit. I hear nothing, not even a sound on the streets of Subang, just the beat of my own heart. I have a twit, a blogpost. From you.

VOICEOVER
Both smile on the phone. Somewhere over the rainbow plays as the scene fades into greyish skies above...

(Bie, this is the same song we'll be playing next year according to our DL list which you asked for. I'm humming this for you baby.)

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Once in a lullaby ii ii iii
Somewhere over the rainbow
Blue birds fly
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Dreams really do come true ooh ooooh
Someday I'll wish upon a star
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me ee ee eeh
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney tops thats where you'll find me oh
Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
And the dream that you dare to,why, oh why can't I? I, I, I, I.....

Well I see trees of green and
Red roses too,
I'll watch them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world

PS. Bie, you've got Twit. I love you and miss you like hell so please be well for me baby. I'm with you holding your hand painting you this smile.

0 comments:

Post a Comment