Friday, April 24, 2009

staying together forever?



Frank Beardsley: "It's giving life that counts. Until you're ready for it, all the rest is just a big fraud. All the crazy haircuts in the world won't keep it turning. Life isn't a love-in, it's the dishes, and the orthodontist, and the shoe repairman, and ground round instead of roast beef. And I'll tell you something else. It isn't going to bed with a man that proves you're in love with him, it's waking up in the morning and facing the drab, miserable, wonderful, everyday world with him that counts."

I actually haven't seen this movie but thought this quote is pretty right on and decided to post it after reading the synopsis of it online. I was intrigued by the quote but do not know if the movie is worth watching. Just sitting here wondering how to make Evil Janet fall in love with me again today when I stumbled across the synopsis which is interesting reading on a Friday leave day.

Yours, mine and ours is about a reunion of high school sweethearts Frank Beardsley (Dennis Quaid who I think is a decent actor) and Helen North nee White who are reunited when Frank and his family move back to his home town of New London. They are instantly attracted to each other and quickly decide to marry. They recognise and accept the fact that he already has eight children from his first marriage, and she has ten from her first marriage, hers a mixture of her own born and a rainbow of adopted children.

Frank is an Admiral with the Coast Guard and is very disciplined about life and strict on how things should be done, whereas she is a free spirit - she is a designer by trade - with a more lackadaisical attitude. Their respective children, who are a mirror of their parent's views, hate each other. They however feel that they can get out of their new situation by joining forces to show their parents their respective differences about life.

I think EJ and myself came with a lot of previous baggage that we have somehow got over but rather hurt in that attempt similar to Frank and Helen that carried their own baggage. They're different enough, although not from different planets but different enough as individuals as people. Sometimes and I think in the future, we will think we are different enough as individuals because of our upbringing but its not that, that counts. Its like Frank said, love binds people together, to get through the tough times where you question and doubt.

I do not think everything will be smooth sailing but I believe that with EJ, we will still be holding hands. Love is not about bringing the perfect couple together. Its about as always seeing the perfect in being together. Because we've been burnt too much to know what it takes to stay together for a lifetime. And because she cares, I care and we both care and want to take this to the next level. Its easy to say this in the so-called 'honeymoon' period but time goes by and somehow everyday, I find myself loving her more and more. I just can not explain how or why but I think with her, I found my forever in her eyes. Because one day, the hair will lose its luster, the eyes will fail, the teeth will fall, the skin will wrinkle but my hand will still be holding hers.

PS. Baby, stop asking me whether I'm sure or not. Because I sure as hell am sure.

0 comments:

Post a Comment