Thursday, August 20, 2009

chasing away nitemares

Listen, you hear it? [whispers in a raspy voice] Carpe — hear it? — Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary.

~ Dead Poet's Society




We woke up today and she saw nightmares. I saw her and thought my world is perfect. It's finally Friday and the week that seems so long at first is close to an end. These days I know she's been trying hard to stay positive and at the same time be honest with me and that is definitely a right step in the right direction. I just want to be here with her and let her know that I care and all I want to do is make her happy.

That road seems still a way to go. I'm feeling sleepy right now and somehow I feel this peace today. Although things did not start off well for us today but I believe that there is a happy ending for us today. Everything seems to move so slow today and there is this laziness and it's not just because it's a Friday. And when I take a look at my watch, it's suddenly already 12 and I feel a bit cheated by time. I wish there was more time today to make her happy.

Going to paint a rainbow for both of us today. Understand that she feels I'm the only one that can hurt her right now and I really need to be more sensitive about things especially her. Carpe diem. It starts with seizing today and not letting another day we should be happy get away from us. Today will be extraordinary. What began with nightmares will end with sweet dreams. I don't know this but I believe this. All I need to do is love her.

I know of this story that I wrote many years ago while still in school and maybe this might paint her a smile in the afternoon. I remember writing it for a school essay and it was simple enough yet I remembered it because it was among the few that I put a bit of heart into writing. There was a little girl that lived in a house across the bridge on a small island. She was a very quiet girl this one. And it was just a few months since she had moved in and people called her Lucy. Lucy never got along well with the neighbours and was perfectly content to be alone with her bicycle to which she took many trips across the waters.

Lucy was often in a mess, rolling down hills and chasing animals in the woods. Anyone who sought to be her friend were turned away. She seemed happy enough to be herself. In the same neighbourhood there was a boy and he too seemed happy enough. He had lived in these parts for many years and was also quiet, cleanly cut hair and prim clothes, he often could be found reading under a tree. Peter was what his friends used to call him. Now it was a dark and stormy night when Peter was out in his tree reading and before he knew it, it poured and poured. Running for shelter, he spotted a house across a bridge.

And he sought shelter from the torrential rain. Using his book as a cover, he hid behind the neatly stacked wood, not for fear of being caught but more because of the rain. Peter was really cold and the light was really inviting. He peeked in and saw a pair of eyes staring back. The window opened and the girl muttered, "I'm Lucy. I saw you at school. You must be really cold. Climb in here." Peter was shocked at another girl willing to take him in the rain. Taking her hand, he clambered into a cosy room filled with warmth of burning firewood.

Sitting awkwardly in the shadows, "I'm Peter. Thanks for letting me in. The rain has been awfully unkind and sudden." Silence permeated the air. "It's awfully nice of you to share this cosy room witha stranger. And we're not strangers anymore I guess. Nice to meet a new friend Lucy". Stammering as he heard no reply he stood up and his shadow was towering over the room. Lucy barely stared at the firewood cuddling her body in the gaze of the flare.

"You can sit by my side if you want. It's warmer here. Nice to meet you Peter". Approaching cautiously, Peter noticed that Lucy's eyes never left the warmth of the fires. Lucy turned and looked at him, "Do you have nightmares Peter?" And Peter smiled as he said, "All the time."

"How do you be happy when you have nightmares?"

"I know it's not real. Besides I've read books that dreams tell us what we think. Nightmares are really what we're afraid of"

"You think so? How do we feel safe from nightmares?"

Chuckling as the fire bit upwards and her face became clear to him, Peter noticed how beautiful her eyes were and he muttered back, "There's beauty in life. Too much beauty in fact that fear never really bothers me. I find it in books, in how life is beautiful when I wake up and am able to breathe. And I find it in your eyes. You're beautiful."

"Thanks. But aren't you afraid. Afraid....afraid if maybe there come true?"

"Of course silly. But that's life. Life is too beautiful to be afraid. I'm here. Are you scared now?"

"I'm not. But you would go away when the rain stops right? And the nightmares will come back."

"No, I won't. I'm not moving an inch. I'm sitting right here with you, see. I'll sit here with you as long as you like. I can hold your hand if it makes you better."

At this, Lucy smiled with Peter. The rain poured along with the nightmares on the outside but something else blossomed within as hands joined and nightmares vanished into the night.

That was the part of the story I wrote which I remembered. I hope she knows, I'm right here sitting with her. I'm not going anywhere. I love you baby. You are my reasons. You are all my reasons. I will be right here. Painting you smiles. Happy Friday baby.

PS. Bie, my new hobby is chasing away nightmares. I love you and you're beautiful. Nightmares might visit you but I will always be here to chase them away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment